Raw EEG output after filtering

travelmail26

Raw EEG output after filtering

Post by travelmail26 »

I'm trying to display raw EEG output from Mind-Monitor in a way that could be assessed by standard visual inspection.

Here's what I've done: Normal EEG range is between 30-150 Microvolts. Muse picks up a lot of ambient signal and has a range in +800 MV. I emailed the developers at Interaxon and was told to filter the signal on a high-pass filter around 0.1Hz. In Pandas using MNE, I used this code

sfreq = 256.0 # explicitly defined as float

# Apply the filter to the data
filtered_data = mne.filter.filter_data(raw_af8, sfreq, l_freq=0.1, h_freq=None, fir_design='firwin')

When I plot the data, it doesn't look like normal EEG (or the raw EEG output that I see within the mind-monitor app). This is 300 data points (sampled at constant rate).
download (1).png
download (1).png (62.19 KiB) Viewed 807 times
I'm curious how to display the raw EEG output. Should I try a rolling mean, perhaps? Or, in the mind-monitor app, how is the filtering and display done to make it raw data look like a typical EEG?

I'm doing visual inspection for sleep staging. Thanks and please let me know if I can make this question more clear.
Thank you
James
Site Admin

Re: Raw EEG output after filtering

Post by James »

For ease of display, each electrode's data is shown in it's own area of the screen and centered around the average value... but other than that, Mind Monitor's RAW EEG view doesn't do any filtering, it's just shows the data as is.
DebAchievingLife

Re: Raw EEG output after filtering

Post by DebAchievingLife »

Did you ever find a solution for this? What are you trying to do with your raw eeg if you are willing to share?

I don't have the device yet but trying to see if it is what I want to use. My main goal/focus is on the eeg information.