How to use Mind Monitor to monitor sleep stage

Thai_amorn

How to use Mind Monitor to monitor sleep stage

Post by Thai_amorn »

Dear Experts,

I'm new to Mind Monitor as well as the EEG world but I'm quite interested to understand how to use Mind Monitor to analyze my sleep stages. I own MUSE S and in the MUSE app I can roughly see my where sleep stages are but the time scale is so rough. If there are "how to" topic already written then please share the link and I will try to study it myself. However, if there are none then I would like to request your help.

PS. I'm interested to understand how to identify REM-sleep as my doctor diagnosed me with REM-related sleep apnea and it is nice to track the effectiveness of CPAP treatment.

Thanks you.
James
Site Admin

Re: How to use Mind Monitor to monitor sleep stage

Post by James »

REM is easily identified by the noise on the RAW EEG signal.
Rapid Eye Movement will make all the RAW EEG signals look like junk, spiking up and down rapidly. During REM reading brainwaves will not be possible due to this interference, but the fact that you're in REM will be pretty obvious.
Thai_amorn

Post by Thai_amorn »

Dear James and others,

Thank you for your guidance. Just for the practice and understanding, can you circles the period that I'm in REM and deep sleep stages so I can use compare it later? I also tried to score REM periods ( also original graph).

Thank a lot
Attachments
my scoring of REM period
my scoring of REM period
Inked10421_rem_LI small.jpg (60.13 KiB) Viewed 2698 times
original screenshot
original screenshot
10421_org.png (196.36 KiB) Viewed 2699 times
Last edited by Thai_amorn on Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James
Site Admin

Post by James »

You need to look at the raw not brainwaves
Thai_amorn

Post by Thai_amorn »

Here you go sir. the CSV is too large so I hope the link to dropbox is ok
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m0harv8ke5em ... Hfq_a?dl=0
Thai_amorn

Post by Thai_amorn »

Also here is the raw graph. I got no idea how to read it. please advise. also how to look into the deep sleep part as well
Attachments
RAW sleep file
RAW sleep file
raw sleep.png (138.1 KiB) Viewed 2694 times
James
Site Admin

Post by James »

You see how AF8 up and down all over the place; That means that AF8 wasn't connected properly, so you're getting a bad signal on that channel.
If you saw something similar to that on all channels at once that would be what REM looks like, but since it's only AF8 and it's for the entire recording, it just means that AF8 wasn't connected and there was no idintifiable REM sleep in this recording.
James
Site Admin

Post by James »

From your Dropbox data, AF7 has the cleanest data - meaning that the RAW EEG has the least variance from max/min.

If you only show that in the RAW EEG view, turn on "All Data Points" and crop the Max/Min to only show 850-750, then you get this:
download.png
download.png (83.6 KiB) Viewed 2690 times
Rapid Eye Movement creates EMG interference which makes the RAW EEG variance much higher (messing up the EEG data). But here in this sample, the RAW EEG has a consistance variance throughout the whole recording. So, likely no REM.

To be clear, there are lots of spikes with large variance in the data here, but they're all very quick and short lived, so just regular eye movement, eyebrow twitches, facial muscle movement etc. REM usually lasts around 10 minutes, so it'll make a big visible chunk of high variance for that duration.

I would recommend you do a REM test, so you can see what the data should look like. Fit the headband and wait until your RAW EEG view is showing low variance lines, start recording. Wait for 1 minutes with your eyes shut and not moving, then keep your eyes shut and rapidly move your eyes for a minute then stop recording. Then look at your recording. It'll be really short so make sure you select "All Data Points". You should see what I mean :-)
Thai_amorn

Post by Thai_amorn »

Thank you James. I will redo the recording again tonight.
Thai_amorn

Post by Thai_amorn »

Hi James,

Thank you for recommendation. I did a REM recording and see the different between no eye movement and with movement.
Attachments
REM
REM
Inkedrem test_LIa.jpg (59.63 KiB) Viewed 2646 times