How Do I Analyze My Graphs?

devpatel17

How Do I Analyze My Graphs?

Post by devpatel17 »

Hey!

I am very new to the Mind Monitor app and the MUSE EEG. I am conducting research with the MUSE EEG and your app, Mind Monitor. I wanted to run a trial test first before I started conducting research on other participants. I did it for a couple of minutes, and graphed in Excel using the Macro and code. I am very confused on how to analyze it.

I researched and found that once the brain is scanned using the EEG, the raw data must be processed. Some programs include EEGLAB and Brainstorm, which are very complicated. I saw that Excel graphs, so I took that route instead. Is the graph processed data or is it still considered raw data? If it is raw, how should I process the data?

This is the graph that I got from a couple of minutes:

Could you help me analyze this?

Other Questions:
1. What do each of the waves mean in general?
2. What do rising waves mean?
3. What do sinking waves mean?
4. Which brain waves do I look at for stress levels?
5. Which brain waves do I look at for cravings (urge) levels?
6. Which brain waves do I look at for calm state?
Attachments
download.png
download.png (154.44 KiB) Viewed 2145 times
James
Site Admin

Re: How Do I Analyze My Graphs?

Post by James »

#1 - https://choosemuse.com/blog/a-deep-dive ... plained-2/
#2,3 - Higher/Lower power spectral density.
#4,5 - I'm not sure.
#6 - High relative Alpha - If you want a deep dive in this theory, check out the research paper "My Virtual Dream: Collective Neurofeedback in an Immersive Art Environment" by Natasha Kovacevic, Petra Ritter, William Tays, Sylvain Moreno, Anthony Randal McIntosh: http://journals.plos.org/plosone/articl ... ne.0130129
devpatel17

Post by devpatel17 »

Is the graph processed data or is it still considered raw data? If it is raw, how should I process the data?
James
Site Admin

Post by James »

The brainwaves are the processed result (FFT) of the RAW EEG data.
Karthik Mohan

Post by Karthik Mohan »

I am a researcher and using MUSE as a tool for my Perception research. Can I use the data that we get in Mindmonitor Website and use it as a data for the research? For eg:, as seen in the image below, the Absolute brainwaves ar shown for a period of 1 min, which also shows GoodFit, BadFit and Jawclench. Also in the initial 30-35 seconds, it is showing where exactly Beta is at its peak and where exactly THeta or alpha is having a peak. Can we use this along with other tools for conclusive results? Can some one pls advice. THank you in advance
Attachments
download.png
download.png (94.08 KiB) Viewed 1596 times
James
Site Admin

Post by James »

This recording looks bad. I would check your RAW EEG to see if you have a good connection. High Delta usually means the headband is not fitted correctly and the J, BF markers are also very bad.
Provlin

Post by Provlin »

Greetings,

A stupid question, so I do apologise in advance. Why are the values displayed in dB instead of Hz?

Looking forward to your feedback. Cheers, Josh
James
Site Admin

Post by James »

The frequency ranges (Hz) are what define which wave is which. The power of the wave (Bels/dB) is how strong each wave is.