PPG information of Muse-2 and Muse-S in Muse Monitor

ocarrera

PPG information of Muse-2 and Muse-S in Muse Monitor

Post by ocarrera »

Hi James, thanks for your fantastic solutions for the muse band. They make everything easy.
I have a Muse 2016 band with Mind Monitor to extract data via Dropbox or OSC Muse Lab.

I want to buy Muse 2 or Muse S band, I'm really interested in analyse the bio information, heart rate (cardiac variability also), the breath rhythm and its correlation with the “neuro” information.

I've been reading in this forum it's not possible because Interaxon does not give you this information.

Any idea about if you will reach it?

Other ideas to correlate the brain waves information with heart rate and breath rhythm?

Thanks

Oscar
James
Site Admin

Re: PPG information of Muse-2 and Muse-S in Muse Monitor

Post by James »

I have spoken with the head of development at Interaxon and we are going to work on adding PPG data, but with the virus this is all now on hold, sorry!
If you want to read heart rate with the Muse 2, this is actually quite easy as you can use the Muse 2 USB port for an extra sensor... with the catch that you have to build your own sensor to attach to the chest. See instructions on the forum here: http://forum.choosemuse.com/t/step-by-s ... trode/3172
Note that this will give you RAW 256Hz microvolts EMG of the heart beating. If you want BPM, you'd need to calculate that by looking at the data spikes, but that should be pretty simple in something like MatLab.
ocarrera

Post by ocarrera »

Thanks for your reply James. I appreciate your idea but, to be honest, it seems too complicated for me. I'll wait a bit. See if you can do the development when the virus issue improves a little.
illeba

Post by illeba »

Hi James, I am interested in using the Muse 2 to record PPG information, I understand this year has been a bit crazy but just wanted to check if you had an idea of timeline for when we might look forward to the feature being added?
Also, the link you shared for how to make attach a sensor yourself seems to be broken...any chance you'd have another source with info on this process?
Thanks!
James
Site Admin

Post by James »

No timeline sorry. I have a day job and kid to take care of ;-)

Aux Electrode Instructions:

Parts:
  • 13mm nickel snaps (female)
  • hot glue
  • Shrink Tubing
  • Electrodes pads with snaps (male) (search on Amazon)
Shielded cable is an absolute must. The electrode is very sensitive and will pick up the static from you rubbing the cable with your finger, or moving it across clothes.

Solder the cable shielding to the USB ground and the center core to Pin 4 (or if you have the 2014 Muse Mu-01 - Pin 2). Use about 3cm of shrink tubing to cover the solder work, but also to add strain relief to the cable.
Finally make a casing from hot glue, so it can be easily plugged and unplugged without pulling on the cable. While the hot glue is still mould-able, lick your fingers to stop them from sticking to the glue, and squash the glue around the head of the connector to make a nice shaped casing.

For the electrode end, first add heat shrink to the cable (hard to add it after the end is soldered! ;-) ) and move it out the way for the time being.
Solder the cable core to the nickel snap and again, use the heat shrink for strain relief and hot glue to make a strong structural case for it, so it won't break when you snap it on and off the electrode pad. The cable shielding doesn't need to be soldered to anything, just make sure it's not contacting the core.
rmib200

Post by rmib200 »

Hi, any updates on this?
musemusemuse

Post by musemusemuse »

Hi James, quick question, does your app (or is it possible another way) extract data (specifically journal entries) from your muse sessions recorded via the standard app in the past? This would be so useful...
James
Site Admin

Post by James »

No. I don't have access to any of Interaxon's data from their apps.
ulala

Post by ulala »

Hi James - Thank you for Mind Monitor! It has been super helpful for experimenting with biofeedback/music. I am trying to get heart rate and EEG data together streamed over OSC, and I was wondering: 1) Does the DIY heart rate monitor that you describe in your 7/16/2020 post work with the new Muse S Gen 2? And can the heart rate data be streamed over OSC simultaneously with the EEG data? Thanks!
James
Site Admin

Post by James »

If you have the iPhone version of the app, you can get experimental PPG data by tapping "Mind Monitor" 10 times at the bottom of the settings menu.