Spectrogram with same settings looks different on Android vs. iPhone

melbez

Spectrogram with same settings looks different on Android vs. iPhone

Post by melbez »

I recently switched to an Android so that I could gather data offline. I transferred all the same settings over from my iPhone for the spectrogram, and the spectograms look quite different. The main difference is that the data is showing up much more slowly on the Android. There looks to be about 15 of the white dashed 5-second interval lines on the Android screen compared to only about 2 or 3 at a time on the iPhone. Is there a way to get them to look consistent? I'd like to be able to compare the data side by side.
James
Site Admin

Re: Spectrogram with same settings looks different on Android vs. iPhone

Post by James »

Use a two finger touch to set the min and max for the spectrogram range. You can also type in specific numbers in the settings if you want it to be exact.
melbez

Post by melbez »

That solved the problem from my other post, but this is something different. It has to do with the speed that the data shows up on the spectrogram screen as it’s being recorded. I have set the range to min:1 and max:3 on both iPhone and Android now, but the Android data shows up much more slowly. Do you know why that is?
James
Site Admin

Post by James »

Then your iPhone has a more powerful processor than your Android device. Each time the spectrogram is calculated, it adds one pixel high line to the graph. If you have a faster processor, it'll calculate more frequently. That's why there are the dashed lines for the seconds intervals, so you can compare across multiple devices.
melbez

Post by melbez »

Ah, makes sense. Thank you!!
melbez

Post by melbez »

Is there any way to adjust the processing speed being used on the devices, like to make the iPhone slower? The dashed lines are helpful, but it’d be great to have the graphs on the same scale across devices. Makes it much easier to compare.
James
Site Admin

Post by James »

No. The only way to do that would be to pick some super low speed that could be handled by all devices and that'd be doing a great disservice to anyone with a decent device.