Stream only streaming sometimes

Michael-62

Stream only streaming sometimes

Post by Michael-62 »

I use your Simple receiver from github, the OSCMonitor and Neromore listening.

On all 3 programs the streaming works sometimes flawless, sometimes you can do whatever the stream just does not start.

Mindmonitor says it streams and the lines on the sceeen for alpha,beta....are wieking correct, but nothing is received at (ip:port) at all.

Only if i switch off all Computer and smartphone (android) and restart everything it works with a 50% chance.

When streaming works, i can stop and testart, everything fine.

Ist there something special i have to do or reset to get the streams working?

If i check the ports, the oscmonitor is listening active o the port so i think there is nothing sent from android?
James
Site Admin

Re: Stream only streaming sometimes

Post by James »

Note that only one app can listen to a port at a time.
If restarting your computer fixes the problem, then you probably have something in the background that is locking up the receiving port and restarting your computer is closing it.
The other possibility is that your computer's IP address has changed, but I think that's unlikely.
I don't think the issue will be on your phone, unless you have a VPN or some other network related app running.
Michael-62

Post by Michael-62 »

Yes, thanks.

So it could be a app in the background still active or not correct terminated.

But what is weird, is, that if i change the port on Mind Monitor onto something different, ist does not work again. It should do this if the old port is blocked.

if i check with

netstat -a -b -o -p UDP

i see that the OSC receiver is the active listener and if i change the port the receiver listens to the changed port.

is there anything i can mess up on the android phone or the muse band?
James
Site Admin

Post by James »

If you change the port, you'll need to start and stop streaming for it to take effect.
Rather than netstat, I'd use SysInternals PortMon: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysin ... ds/portmon
This will tell you what the app is a little more cleanly.

The only settings in the app that affects streaming are the port and IP settings. If your band is on, then you'll get OSC data, there's nothing to mess up there. :-) I'm sure it's just a crashed out app on your PC locking the port, or not closing it properly when you close the app.
As a test, when it's working, close your receiving app, then open it again and see if it's still working. If not, then the issue is likely that it's not closing the port properly.