FLowtime headband

jasoncsccog

FLowtime headband

Post by jasoncsccog »

Hi James or fellow explorers,

Does anyone know if the mind-monitor app would sync with the flowtime headband?

https://www.meetflowtime.com/en-gb/collections/all

It is a bit cheaper than the Muse so I can considering it.

Appreciate any feedback/ advice.

Jason
James
Site Admin

Re: FLowtime headband

Post by James »

No. Mind Monitor only works with Muse headbands.

I would strongly recommend you do not buy a Flowtime band.

The company that makes the Flowtime headband sent me one, asking me to make Mind Monitor compatible with it. I found that the sensors on the band picked up a lot more noise than the Muse sensors, to the point where processing the data on a phone was almost impossible.

The second and even bigger issue for me, is that the headband streams all of your brainwave data to China for processing.

In order to clean up the super messy raw data, the Flowtime SDK processes brainwaves by sending all the raw data to a server in China, doing all the processing there in their "Cloud DSP" and then sending it back to the phone. One of the key things about Mind Monitor is that your brainwave data is your own property and it does not get sent anywhere without your consent. Sending a constant stream of potentially sensitive biometric data to China is unacceptable to me and so I said I wasn't willing to support the band. This off-phone processing also adds in a significant delay to the data you are seeing on the phone, as well as using up your internet data allowance.

Last and least, the Flowtime band only has 2 sensors, where as the Muse has 4. This isn't a super big deal, but I think it's dishonest when on the Muse vs Flowtime comparison page they just write "EEG Sensors" in both columns.
jasoncsccog

Post by jasoncsccog »

Hi James
Thanks for the super swift and detailed response. I wouldnt have gotten this info anywhere else so I really appreciate you for your pro tips. A lot of friends who are avid meditators are using Mind monitor - I will make sure to share this with them and spread the words.
I will get a Muse based on your recommendation

In your opinion, is there a big difference between Muse 2 and Muse S? I am just looking to get it for the biofeedback to improve my meditation. Do they both have 4 built in sensors?

Thanks again

Jason
James
Site Admin

Post by James »

I'd recommend the Muse S. It's more comfortable to wear. It uses the soft strap design to pulls the elecrodes on to your head evenly, where as with the Muse 2, you have to tighten the ear clips to get pressure, which is less comfortable.
The electronics inside the two bands are pretty much the same, (both have four electrodes) so you'll get access to the exact same data types.
easelycorey

Post by easelycorey »

James wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:05 pm No. Mind Monitor only works with Muse headbands.

I would strongly recommend you do not buy a Flowtime band.

The company that makes the Flowtime headband sent me one, asking me to make Mind Monitor compatible with it. I found that the sensors on the band picked up a lot more noise than the Muse sensors, to the point where processing the data on a phone was almost impossible.

The second and even bigger issue for me, is that the headband streams all of your brainwave data to China for processing.

In order to clean up the super messy raw data, the Flowtime SDK processes brainwaves by sending all the raw data to a server in China, doing all the processing there in their "Cloud DSP" and then sending it back to the phone. One of the key things about Mind Monitor is that your brainwave data is your own property and it does not get sent anywhere without your consent. Sending a constant stream of potentially sensitive biometric data to China is unacceptable to me and so I said I wasn't willing to support the band. This off-phone processing also adds in a significant delay to the data you are seeing on the phone, as well as using up your internet data allowance.

Last and least, the Flowtime band only has 2 sensors, where as the Muse has 4. This isn't a super big deal, but I think it's dishonest when on the Muse vs Flowtime comparison page they just write "EEG Sensors" in both columns.
Thank You for looking out for all of us James, you have exceptional ethics in todays world.