Recurring problem with connection with Muse2

LMclorg

Recurring problem with connection with Muse2

Post by LMclorg »

Hi James - hoping you can help guide me. I have recently purchased a Muse2. Have used it several times with the Muse app and have had no problems with initial connection, calibration or continual connection through longish (30+ minutes) meditations. I am most interested in using the MM app and have downloaded and tried to use it but having a recurring problem.

The app seems to connect fine with my Muse2 and the horseshoe shows all connections. I begin recording and the connection seems fine for about 10 to 15 minutes and then seems to stop. There's no message that the connection is lost but the horseshoe shows no colors and all of the lines for each type of wave simply run at the 50 hZ level.

When I look at the file through the MM website to graph it, I get errors of bad fit.

I've been meditating for quite a long time and know that I am a very still sitter and there doesn't seem to be any change in placement of the Muse2 on my head so I'm struggling to understand why the connection is dropping.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Laurie
James
Site Admin

Re: Recurring problem with connection with Muse2

Post by James »

An empty black ring on the top center of the Horseshoe Indicator means the headband is not being detected as being on your head.

This happens when the center front three sensors are not in good contact with the head. If you are getting data on the RAW EEG channels then the very center sensor pad is making contact, but the two on either side of it are not.

In colder weather this is usually because of dry skin, which prevents a good electrical connection. Try cleaning your forehead with a damp cloth before putting on the Muse. This will gently exfoliate the skin and the moisture from the cloth will also help make the electrical connection.

Get a friend to look at the band from above while you're wearing it and see if there are any gaps. You may find tightening the band helps, or if the plastic spring on the front are not pushing enough, you can put a bit of cotton wool in there to give it some more spring pressure.

The other reason could be the sensor strip itself. If it is dirty or has oxidization marks, Interaxon recommend cleaning with rubbing alcohol:
https://choosemuse.force.com/s/article/ ... e-headband
LMclorg

Post by LMclorg »

Thanks for the quick reply James!

I had read the issue of dry skin so this morning I used a damp cloth on my forehead and had some progress where the connection lasted longer than previously but still dropped after 15 minutes. I checked on the connection and saw that it had dropped, then I reset the headband and it seemed to reconnect.
021321-Noting Meditation.png
021321-Noting Meditation.png (84.58 KiB) Viewed 5010 times
I also see several indications of jaw clench but I believe these are actual when I swallow - Unfortunately, I'm one of those meditators who have a lot of saliva build up and have to swallow fairly often. I'm confident that I have no tension/clenching in my jaw.

I am a petite woman with quite a small head and have the band as small/tight as it will go. I'll try using the rubbing alcohol and the cotton balls.
James
Site Admin

Post by James »

I agree the the Jaw Clench marker is likely jaw movement. The marker gets triggered by a specific "fuzzy" pattern in the RAW EEG, but this could be caused by a few things, it's just a general indicator of bad data.

If you're able to adjust and get the signal back, then I don't think you need to clean the sensors, it's probably just the Muse coming loose.

If you've got a smaller head, you might find wearing a sweat band over the Muse keeps it a bit firmer against you head and helps the connection remain.
LMclorg

Post by LMclorg »

Thanks again James, I'll give all your suggestions a try over the next couple of sits.
I really appreciate this forum and your responsiveness.
LMclorg

Post by LMclorg »

Hi James, Thought I'd update with the resolution to this issue. Turns out to be a defect in the actual headband. The headband was returned under warranty and I was provided with a new one and have had continuous connection now in each session.
James
Site Admin

Post by James »

Thanks for letting me know. I'm glad it's all fixed now! For reference, I created my app back in 2015 and I think this is only the 2nd or 3rd faulty head band I've heard about, so in general I think Interaxon make a very robust product :-)
jutapugm01

problem with connection with Mind Monitor

Post by jutapugm01 »

hi, can i ask: why mind monitor app can't connect to Samsung Galaxy Tab S7? just "Waiting. Please power on and pair your Muse."
i try at phone directly connect (not much time needed to connect)
James
Site Admin

Post by James »

Make sure you have the location permission enabled. Some older Samsung OS updates had a bug where they disabled the permission and you need to toggle it off and then on again.