How to use Mind Monitor to monitor sleep stage

Thai_amorn

Re: How to use Mind Monitor to monitor sleep stage

Post by Thai_amorn »

now how can I tell where the deep sleep is?
James
Site Admin

Post by James »

Looks good.
Ignoring AF8 which obviously isn't connected properly, you can see how the rest of the sensors have a noticably lower min/max variance in the left side.

BTW, you can turn off sensors by just un-checking their box at the top.
Thai_amorn

Post by Thai_amorn »

Dear James and others,

Here is the recording of my last night with raw data to download ( https://www.dropbox.com/s/d7pz9z0tbmag7 ... 1.zip?dl=0 ). can you advise how can I look for different stage of my sleep? Thank you in advance.
Attachments
141021.png
141021.png (121.92 KiB) Viewed 2786 times
James
Site Admin

Post by James »

I can't tell from this recording sorry, it's just too noisy.
You really need to get a recording without all the BF - Bad Fit and J - Jaw Clench markers to know that it's clean data.
mikeymajor

Post by mikeymajor »

James, new to mind monitor and very excited to learn more. Quick question related to jaw clench (and your knowledge/intuition of the muse filters). for background: I wear a mouth guard because of jaw clench/teeth grinding. My Muse data often shows 0 minutes of deep sleep which troubles me (even though I fall asleep relatively quickly and sleep well for first 3 hours of night). is it possible/likely that muse is missing deep sleep because of this. Sorry if you've covered in a separate post. Love the nerdy software.
James
Site Admin

Post by James »

Absoutely. When you're clenching your jaw, the Muse can't read your brainwaves due to the muscle movement interference. So it would make sense that the Muse Calm app doesn't register you as in deep sleep.

I don't know what the precise definition of "deep sleep" is, but I'd also argue that if you're clenching your jaw, you're not in deep sleep.

I used to clench my jaw and it was due to stresss that I though was managable, but really wasn't. I had to make some big life changes to fix it, so I know how hard it is.