Can I use two Muse Headbands simultaneously?

ninenko

Can I use two Muse Headbands simultaneously?

Post by ninenko »

Hi!

We have a program which is designed to work with two muse headbands. It visualizes the data coming from the muse and allow people to "communicate" via this visualization.
You may see the prototype in this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HONp1gAXZlo

It has been working fine with Muse 2014 - streaming data from two headbands to one Mac. One of the streams is set to be 6000 port, the other to 5000.
Now we have Muse 2016, and you know the story... (#%#&*%^&@^!!!!)

Can you tell me, will Muse Monitor solve our problems? Would it be possible to send data from two headbands to one Mac? Do I need two gadgets with two Muse Monitors to do so?
James
Site Admin

Re: Can I use two Muse Headbands simultaneously?

Post by James »

Muse Monitor only connects to one Muse at a time, but if you had two phones each running Muse Monitor, then you could stream both to the same Mac on different ports.
ninenko

Post by ninenko »

Great news! It is clumsy, but it solves the issue.
Is it easy to set up Monitors to send info to different ports? Where should I look for those settings?
James
Site Admin

Post by James »

Very easy. Press the settings button and scroll to "OSC Port"
ninenko

Post by ninenko »

Thanks! That was easy.
Great app.

The only trouble I have now is relative values. Muse 2014 used to stream alpha_relative etc data. And I we were using this data in our MAX project. Muse Monitor streams only absolute data.

I am looking into way how to convert them to relative inside MAX, but may be there is a way how to make Muse Monitor to stream relative data?

PS:
"Relative Band Powers

The relative band powers are calculated by dividing the absolute linear-scale power in one band over the sum of the absolute linear-scale powers in all bands. The linear-scale band power can be calculated from the log-scale band power thusly: linear-scale band power = 10^ (log-scale band power).

Therefore, the relative band powers can be calculated as percentages of linear-scale band powers in each band. For example:

alpha_relative = (10^alpha_absolute / (10^alpha_absolute + 10^beta_absolute + 10^delta_absolute + 10^gamma_absolute + 10^theta_absolute))

The resulting value is between 0 and 1. However, the value will never be 0 or 1.
These values are emitted at 10Hz.
MuseIO OSC Paths /muse/elements/delta_relative
/muse/elements/theta_relative
/muse/elements/alpha_relative
/muse/elements/beta_relative
/muse/elements/gamma_relative"
ninenko

Post by ninenko »

The same question for the experimental data (/muse/elements/experimental/mellow f, /muse/elements/experimental/concentration f). This is even unclear how to culculate
James
Site Admin

Post by James »

Interaxon discontinued these a few years ago, see: http://developer.choosemuse.com/faq
ninenko

Post by ninenko »

They discontinued "mellow" and "concentration"? Damn.
But they still stream relative data, as far I see. Can I stream it from the Monitor?
James
Site Admin

Post by James »

Muse Monitor sends absolute values. Relative can be calculated easily by relative X=absolute X/(sum of all absolute values) as per the Interaxon documentation here: http://developer.choosemuse.com/researc ... and_Powers
ninenko

Post by ninenko »

Thanks for clarification.
And thanks for the app!