How to Benefit from the Data?

Yanno

How to Benefit from the Data?

Post by Yanno »

SUPER EXCITED TO SEE THIS APP CREATED! :)
Thank you for making this

My question is how to practically use this app to make progress?

Where can I find out more about brainwaves and what each brainwave means? For example what frequencies Is ur brain in when ur relaxed or when you want to go do sports?

I need a instruction booklet for my brainwaves!!!

What's the point in seeing the waves if I can't interpret them??

Thanks again guys!!
James
Site Admin

Re: How to Benefit from the Data?

Post by James »

The best place to start learning about brain waves is probably the wikipedia article on Alpha waves: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_wave

From that page there are many many links to other articles.

So far as identifying relaxation goes, the best place to start would be the research paper "My Virtual Dream: Collective Neurofeedback in an Immersive Art Environment" by Natasha Kovacevic, Petra Ritter, William Tays, Sylvain Moreno, Anthony Randal McIntosh: http://journals.plos.org/plosone/articl ... ne.0130129

According to this paper, relaxation can be determined as an increase in relative spectral power of Alpha. Doing a quick Google search for "EEG relaxation" will bring up many similar papers mentioning Alpha. You should note however that none of these theories are proven. Currently neuroscience is very much in it's infancy; there is a lot we do not understand and there is no simple guide which says frequency X means Feeling Y.

Also bear in mind that it has taken Interaxon many years and a team of neuroscientists to come up with their secret algorithm for their Calm app.

Muse Monitor was designed to give easy access to EEG data for neuroscience research students, to further mankind's understanding of the field and help answer these very questions.
MindfulGangsta

Post by MindfulGangsta »

Hi Yanno,

Sometimes the final results aren't as important as just observing the CHANGE in the patterns.

For example, I've been experimenting with medicating patients with marijuana and walking them though a guided meditation while recording the data with the Muse app.

Most patients have a very predictable starting pattern. I'm sure you've seen it. From top to bottom: red, purple, blue, green, orange, etc. I'm sure you've noticed it.

We've noticed that patients will have emotional breakthroughs at certain points in the session. The patients describe feelings of bliss, gratitude, an overwhelming sense of well-being, and increased mental focus or clarity. The Muse ALWAYS records this state from top to bottom as: Orange, green, red, purple, blue.

What does it mean? I'm not sure. However, we can duplicate it pretty consistently and it's had some profound changes with those who practice it regularly. Increases mindfulness, happiness, creativity, focus.

Good luck!
James
Site Admin

Post by James »

That's really interesting, can you please post a graph using the new Muse Monitor graphing script (http://www.MuseMonitor.com/Macro.php), so I can see this in action?