TP10 not showing up in horseshoe at all

eegnewb

TP10 not showing up in horseshoe at all

Post by eegnewb »

I know this is not a muse monitor issue. But has anyone ever encountered this before? The TP10 electrode is not showing up at all. It was working till last night. But now there is not even an open oval. The rest of the electrodes are coming and going as expected. Also, TP10 values showing InfinitydB. I am worried that it simply means that electrode has gone kaput. It is only seven days after buying.
mkuzmich

Re: TP10 not showing up in horseshoe at all

Post by mkuzmich »

I'm experiencing the similar thing (I've just bought Muse).
TP10 almost never shows in horseshoe, just blinks from time to time. But at the same time my Muse works perfectly with original Muse app.

Have you managed to solve your problem?

Thanks,
Maxim
eegnewb

Post by eegnewb »

Yes. I had to buy the app for another device on which it works. What looked like a hardware problem initially turned out to be a software problem. However, I must warn you when I said 'not showing up' I meant completely white in that area...not even the open ellipse which simply suggests poor connectivity. If you are experiencing the latter then use a drop of water behind your ears...those electrodes are usually difficult in terms of connectivity...either because of their placement or because of the rubber electrodes or both. Let us know how it goes.
James
Site Admin

Post by James »

For reference, Interaxon's SDK seems to have problems with the LG G6 and Samsung Galaxy Tab A.
On some of these devices, most commonly TP10, but sometimes other electrodes do not report their Horseshoe status correctly.

It is my speculation that with the the Interaxon Calm app they are just ignoring these errors provided they are getting some good data from other electrodes, in order to preserve the relaxation experience.

Regarding the above devices, some people have contacted me where their partner has the same model and it works fine, so I suspect that there is a common manufacturing defect in the Bluetooth module.
mkuzmich

Post by mkuzmich »

Hi,

I've tried other device (tablet Samsung Galaxy S2) and it worked! Previously I've tried to run it on Huawei Mate 10 Pro. However I can't see any significant difference in a behavior of the original Muse app on these devices.

James, can I provide any useful info from the problematic phone (e.g. log-files) to let you dig deeper into this problem?

Thanks,
Maxim
James
Site Admin

Post by James »

There's not much I can do I'm afraid. If there were anything to be done in the code, that would be with Interaxon SDK code.. but I think that is unlikely as the SDK works with literally thousands of other Android devices without issue. There's no harm in asking though, if you wanted to contact Interaxon support.
Kim

Post by Kim »

Hey there!

I am having the exact same problem (on a Huawei P20). TP10 is not showing up in the Horseshoe at all in Muse Monitor. In the Muse app it seems to work fine.
I was wondering if someone has come up with a solution by now? (:
James
Site Admin

Post by James »

I believe that NaN data occurring on TP10 is the result of the phone running out of bluetooth bandwidth and cutting off the data stream before it's complete. This can either be because other devices (such as wireless headphones) are using up the bandwidth, or because the bluetooth chip just is not capable of the data rate. If you have no other bluetooth devices connected, then unfortunately your bluetooth chip is likely the cause, and the Muse will not work properly on your devices.

Note that although the Interaxon app might tell you that it's got a good connection on TP10, this is likely NOT the case and it is probably getting bad data too. Muse Monitor's horseshoe loads up showing all signals as bad, then changes them to good when it receives good data. Interaxon's horseshoes loads up showing all signals as good then changes them to bad, if it receives bad data. This means that if no signal data is received Interaxon's horseshoe for TP10 will remain on it's starting setting of "good", even though there is no data.
Kim

Post by Kim »

Thanks for the fast & clear reply!
Kim

Post by Kim »

Hey again!

I am trying to put the data into graphs using the super helpful macro code in Excel but as I am missing data from TP10, some errors occur. It can't generate averages/graphs for Alpha, Beta, etc. oscillations respectively, as no average can be made with the data in the TP10 field ("=-infinity"). Do you have any advice on how to solve this? Should I just delete the entire column containing TP10 data and overwrite the formulas so I will be generating averages on TP9, AF7, AF8 only? Or is there a more beautiful/useful solution (I will be creating & comparing many files)?

Another question, maybe related to the same problem, is how I can get graphs in the "Raw EEG" (seperately for TP9, AF7, AF8, that is) visualization to show up in the Muse Monitor app and in graphs after uploading. Right now, only Left, Right and Average are showing up for me.