How to OSC streaming data with a 2016 Muse?

oceanrace

How to OSC streaming data with a 2016 Muse?

Post by oceanrace »

Hi,

is it right, that I need MuseLab in order to stream OSC data? Muse notes: The research tools are compatible with the Muse 2014 headband.

I have a 2016 Muse. Is streaming data not possible in this case??

Thank you for your help!!

All the best

Jan
James
Site Admin

Re: How to OSC streaming data with a 2016 Muse?

Post by James »

Sort of. Muse Lab is one program which can receive an OSC data stream, there are others, but Muse Lab is obviously designed specifically for the Muse, so it's pretty easy to get set up. MatLab would be the other big one, but unless you know how to use it, it's a bit of a beast.

Regarding compatibility with the 2014/2016 headband, this only affects Muse-IO. Muse-IO is a program you run on your PC/Mac to connect directly to the Muse over bluetooth and send OSC data (to Muse Lab). Muse-IO only works with the 2014 headband. They now have a new program Muse-Direct which works with both 2014 and 2016 headbands to send OSC data, but it often has problems because bluetooth on PC/Mac's is a little flaky. Then you obviously also have the option to use Muse Monitor for sending the OSC stream.
oceanrace

Post by oceanrace »

Oh, ok. I didn't find the instructions for OSC streaming with Muse Monitor. I found the Macro Instructions, the Online Graphs and I found the technical instructions where it says:

"OSC Streaming lets you stream data directly from Muse Monitor to an OSC data receiver such as Interaxon MuseLab. Server IP/Name and Port can be set in [Settings]."

I am a bit puzzled - please help! Thank you!
James
Site Admin

Post by James »

All you need to do to set up streaming in Muse Monitor is to put in the local IP of your server, i.e. the Mac/PC running Muse Lab.

On a Mac get the local IP from Settings, or on your PC, type "ipconfig" in the command line.

The run Muse Lab, load this config file [http://sonicpenguins.com/muse/muselab_c ... ation.json] which will set up everything and you'll ready to receive data.
oceanrace

Post by oceanrace »

Now I have my local IP.

Please specify the next step. How to load the config file using the local IP?

Thanks!
James
Site Admin

Post by James »

• Put your local computer IP in Muse Monitor settings as "OSC Server IP"
  • Run Interaxon Muse Lab and load the config file (Configuration -> Load Configuration)
  • Press the stream button on Muse Monitor.
You can find more info on Muse Lab here: http://developer.choosemuse.com/research-tools/muselab.
oceanrace

Post by oceanrace »

* I added the IP address but it says "OSC Stream IP" not "OSC Server IP"

* I have Muse Lab on my PC (Windows) and I loaded configuration

* I hit the stream button

* It shows the picture in the attachment
muselab.JPG
muselab.JPG (62.82 KiB) Viewed 7650 times
http://www.musemonitor.com/forums/downl ... view&id=17

* But still I cannot see anything in Muse Lab

* There is also an according thread in Muse forum but it does not really help (Muse-io + Muse 2016 Headband?). I hope you can?!
oceanrace

Post by oceanrace »

I think I got it. I can see data streaming in Muse Lab. Thanks.
BrianM

Post by BrianM »

Hi I have just bought my muse. I have a 2016 so am going to muse-lab through an android muse monitor. I'm at this point in the thread I'm reading. I had the IP of my imac as the OSC streamIP, but monitor wouldn't stream, said it couldn't find it so I put it to the IP of my mac. I have port 5000 open. I have the example configuration loaded. When I hit stream on muse monitor it starts streaming but nothing shows on muse lab. The horseshoe is white, don't know if this should show colors? (the horseshoe on muse lab).
BrianM

Post by BrianM »

Hi oceanrace - can I ask what did you do in the end that led to data appearing in muselab?
Thanks all!